The original Walcon Marine System 21 floating pontoon design is still a market leader and has been in use in marinas and yacht harbours around the world for over 35 years and continues to be a market-leader to this day. This ever-popular pontoon design uses a galvanised steel frame with a hardwood deck supported on fibre concrete floats. We have refined and improved the details of the design over many years of manufacture, implementation and testing.
System 21 is a modular pontoon system with floating walkways, platforms, and finger pontoons to fit the majoriry of sheltered water marinas and has the following design features:
- Welded mild steel structure with a heavy duty 180mm x 75mm channel on all floating walkways
- The pontoon structure is hot-dip galvanised in one piece to EN ISO 1461
- It uses Walcon’s proven eExpanded polystyrene floats encased in fibre concrete
- A modular pontoon system suitable for most marina and yacht harbour layouts
- Finger pontoons adjustable in position at 500mm centres
- Hardwood deck and fenders
- Full provision for the increasingly complex service requirements of modern marinas
- Reinforced versions providing higherVarious freeboards, and greater live loadings and upgraded side channels are available
Durable steel structure
System 21 is one of the strongest floating pontoon designs for marinas. It can also be used for large-scale boat show events. For many years it has formed the temporary marinas at the Southampton and Sydney International Boat Shows and other events.
The combination of welded frame units and flexible connections gives a robust and durable design. Where galvanising is not considered adequate, such as in more corrosive environments than the United Kingdom, an additional or alternative paint treatment can be specified. Reinforced versions providing higher freeboards and greater live loadings are available.
Easy access to services
System 21 floating pontoons are designed and built to reduce the cost of maintenance and servicing through easy access to cables and connections. Pontoon walkways can be fitted with continuous ducts along both sides giving direct access to marina services and pontoon connections without removing the decking.
The standard range of interconnected units is comprised of walkway and finger units with a nominal unloaded freeboard of 500mm and 300mm draft
The walkway units may be used for the main concourse and piers of a marina as well as for many other pontoon applications. Standard lengths are 11.46 and 7.46 metres, and standard widths are 1.65, 1.93 and 2.56 metres.
Cantilevered finger units are used in conjunction with walkway units to create individual berths. Standard lengths are 4.5, 6.0, 7.5, 9.0 and 10.5 metres, with the recommended minimum length being 75% of the length of the boat to be berthed. Units are made in a tapered splay design with a minimum width of 750mm. Longer units are available but will be parallel sided and require the support of an end pile.
Economy fingers – lightweight mooring arms offering limited access are available as an alternative to 4.5 and 6.0 metre fingers.
System 21 Photo Gallery
Steel Articulating Finger Pontoons
These special floating pontoons have been developed specifically developed for locations with limited water level variation and are installed against quay walls in rivers or harbours either with articulating pontoon joint or with an end pile. Steel articulating finger pontoons are comprised of a galvanised steel frame with a hardwood deck and are supported on concrete floats. The product is suitable for use either as a river pontoon or a quayside pontoon and is available with an end pile or as a cantilever from the quay wall.
The steel articulating finger pontoon has the following features:
- All welded mild steel structure
- The steel structure of the pontoon is hot-dip galvanised to EN ISO 1461
- Tried and tested Walcon expanded polystyrene floats encased in fibre concrete
- Hardwood decks and fenders
- Articulating pontoon joints
- Maximum live load of 1.25kN/m²
Articulating Finger Pontoons Photo Gallery
Due to a policy of continuous product development, Walcon reserve the right to change specifications without prior notice.